2 militants killed, CRPF trooper, policeman injured in Balhama gunfight BJP leader escapes unhurt

Two militants were killed while a CRPF trooper and a policeman were injured after an attack on a BJP leader by militans at Balhama area of Khanmoh in outskirts of Srinagar city on Thursday.

Militants fired upon Anwar Khan, a BJP leader, at Balhama, a police official said. While Khan escaped the attack unhurt, his PSO, constable Bilal Ahmad, was injured in the incident, the official added. He said the injured policeman was rushed to a hospital, where his condition was stated to be stable.
The encounter started after militants made an abortive bid to snatch a rifle of the PSO of Khan near Arsh Medical Institute in Balhama, Khanmoh. Later in the exchange of fire one CRPF trooper identified as Pradeep Kumar of 110 Bn got injured and was shifted to Army’s 92 base hospital for treatment. Two militants were also killed till the last reports poured in.

CRPF spokesperson confirmed that Pradeep suffered injuries in his shoulder.
BJP’s spokesperson, Altaf Thakur, said that a group of four militants opened fire on personal security guards who were on duty at the gates of Adarash Medical institute, run by Khan at the village. He said that one of Khan’s personal security guards was injured. He said that Khan was “inside the institute at the time of attack and they informed police to seek his evacuation.”

“The militants attacked the security guards to snatch rifles from them but they were effectively repulsed,” a police official said.

A police source informed that the militants of Zakir Musa lead Ansar Gazwatul Hind and Thereekul Mujahideem (TeM) were believed to have been trapped in two residential houses.
After the news of encounter spread mobile internet speed was restricted in Tral and Awantipora areas of Pulwama and in some parts of Srinagar city.
In South Kashmir’s Pulwama town some youth took to streets and started pelting stones towards police station Pulwama. They also raised pro-freedom and pro-Pakistan slogans. The government forces soon rushed to chase them away by firing teargas canisters and the shelling and pelting was going on till last reports came in.
Reports of clashes were also reported from Pampore town of south Kashmir. Local sources said that police fired few aerial shots to disperse stone pelting youth. The
stray incidents of stone pelting were on till last reports came in.
IGP Kashmir S P Pani told Rising Kashmir that the encounter is still going on and that “he has not received any reports of militant killing yet.”