3 LeT militants, Army man killed in Kupwara gunfights Militants offer gun-salute to Hizb militant at Tral

Srinagar, Nov 21:
Three Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militants were killed Tuesday in a gunfight with forces in the Handwara area while an army man was also killed and two others injured in the encounter at Zirhama in Kupwara.
Officials said that the forces launched a search operation at Magam in the Handwara area of Kupwara district after information about presence of militants there.

They said the militants were asked to surrender but they opened fire on forces.
The troops retaliated and in the exchange of fire, which lasted for over an hour, three Pakistani militants of the LeT were killed, the official said.

Later in the afternoon, another encounter broke out between militants and forces at Zirhama, Trehgam area of Kupwara district.
“The police, CRPF and Army have strengthened the cordon and are trying to flush out the militants,” the official added.
Defence spokesman in Srinagar, Colonel Rajesh Kalia said an army man was killed and two others injured in the ongoing gunfight.

Meanwhile, four armed militants appeared and fired shots in air at the funeral of Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) militant, Adil Chopan at Lurow Tral in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district today.
The militants fired several shots in air offering a gun salute at the native village of Adil. Thousands of people had assembled at the funeral site to offer prayers for Adil, a 17 year old militant.

Adil died in a brief gunfight with forces at Seer Jageer forest area of Tralon Monday.
He was laid to rest at the martyrs’ graveyard in Lurow.
Thousands of people attended the funeral prayers amidst chanting of pro-Islamic and pro-freedom slogans.
The mourners included women, who were seen wailing.
Men marched towards the graveyard carrying Adil’s body.
Adil had earlier escaped from the encounter site in Saimoh, Tral on May 27. Hizb commander Sabzar Bhat and Faizan Bhat, 16 were killed in the gunfight.
Meanwhile, a spontaneous shutdown was observed in the Tral and adjacent areas today to mourn the killing of Adil.
All shops and other business establishments remained shut while public traffic was off the roads.