3 militants killed in Chadoora gunfight Clashes erupt in Pulwama after rumors about militant presence

Three militants were killed in an encounter in the Chadoora area of central Kashmir’s Budgam district on Monday, officials said.
The gun battle began after forces launched a search operation in Zuhama village of Chadoora following information about the presence of militants, an official said. The search operation turned into an encounter after the militants, holed up inside a house, opened fire on the forces, he said.
Local news agency CNS quoted an official saying that forces launched a cordon and search operation and carried out searches following which militants hiding in the village opened fire on the forces triggering a gunfight. He said that three militants were killed in the gunfight that lasted for few hours.
Earlier, he said, two militants were killed at one spot while the third militant was trapped in a house few hundred yards away. “He was also killed in the gunfight,” he said. The identity of the slain militants was not immediately known.
As the gunfight began authorities suspended the mobile internet services at Budgam and Chadoora. “The Internet was suspended to prevent spreading of rumors,” said an official.
lashes erupted in Chadoora after youth took to streets and staged protests. The forces lobbed teargas shells and fired pellets after protesters pelted them with stones.
A health official at Sub-district hospital Chadoora confirmed that two youth with pellet injuries were treated at the facility.
Meanwhile clashes erupted in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district after rumors spread in the town that a couple of militants were trapped in Tahab village of the district.
Earlier, forces resorted to aerial firing after a vehicle failed to stop at a naka crossing in Tahab village.
An official said that a vehicle was signaled to stop at a naka in Bongam Tahab for checking. “It didn’t stop following which forces fired some shots in the air to stop the vehicle,” he said. The official said that driver managed to flee from the spot leaving poppy straw behind.
Reports said that shortly after the incident government forces cordoned off the area and launched a search operation. The news about search operation and the alleged trapping of militants spread in the town where youth pelted stones at the police station. The government forces lobbed tear smoke shells to disperse the mob and clashes disrupted life in the town while shopkeepers downed their shutters.
After some hours of disruption, the life limped back to normalcy later in the afternoon. A police official said that no militants were present in Tahab Village while those who dropped poppy straw from the vehicle “were probably drug peddlers.”