Curbs, shutdown mark Burhan’s 2nd death anniversary Govt enforces curfew in Burhan’s home town; Separatists caged

Normal life remained disrupted for the second day due to a shutdown called by Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) and curbs imposed by authorities to foil protests on the second death anniversary of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander, Burhan Wani.
Authorities imposed curfew in Wani’s hometown Tral and restrictions in Srinagar parts to prevent protest and clashes.
A heavy contingent of forces comprising Police, and paramilitary CRPF troops kept Tral out of bounds for people as all routes leading to the township were sealed off while barricades were erected at various places to stop people from marching toward the area.
The government forces were also deployed around the graveyard where Wani lies buried and around the residence of the slain militant commander, locals said.
However, clashes erupted between youth and government forces at Nowdal village of Tral after the government forces prevented a group of youth from marching toward Wani’s native village Shariefabad to pay tributes to him.
As youth restored to stone pelting, the government forces retaliated by firing tear smoke shells to disperse the youth.
Similarly, youths at Arigam village tried to defy restrictions and tried to march toward Wani’s village.
However, the government forces prevented them from marching ahead.
Severe restrictions were also imposed in Srinagar downtown areas to prevent protests and rallies.
Officials said restrictions were enforced as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order in areas falling under the jurisdiction of seven police stations including Khanyar, Nowahatta, Safa Kadal, Maharaj Gunj and Rainawari.
While partial restrictions also remained in place in Maisuma and Kralkhud areas of the city.
According to residents, police and paramilitary CRPF men were deployed in high strength in the areas where restriction was imposed.
However, youth breached restrictions at Fateh Kadal, Habba Kadal and Zaldagar area and resorted to stone throwing on the government forces deployed there.
In retaliation, the government forces fired numerous tear smoke shells at them.
“Several people were injured in the action of the government forces,” said a local resident.
Heavy restrictions were also imposed in Anantnag town in south Kashmir to maintain law and order.
Contingents of police and paramilitary CRPF men were deployed at Khanabal, Sarnal check post, Mattan point, Ashajipora, and Dak Bungalow areas of the town. Barricades were also placed on roads at some places to restrict public movement. While the situation largely remained calm, mild stone throwing was reported from Dailgam village of the town.
Meanwhile, a complete shutdown was observed across Kashmir to mark Wani’s second death anniversary.
Shops and business establishments remained closed while highways and roads in city and district headquarters remained largely deserted during the day.
Public and private transport was completely off the roads while cars and auto rickshaws were seen plying very thin.
Traffic on Srinagar-Jammu highway was also stopped for a few hours keeping in view the situation.
“Just for the sake of safety, traffic was stopped for a few hours from Kulgam. Later, traffic was allowed to proceed. At times we stop vehicles to ensure there is no traffic problem along the Banihal road since the stretch is one-way,” said a traffic police official.
Authorities had made transport arrangements for aspirants of National Eligibility Test being conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education and State Bank of Indian probationary officers’ examinations.
JRL comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik had asked people to throng Burhan’s hometown Tral to pay tribute to him.
United Jehad Council (UJC) headed by Syed Salahuddin had also called for observing ‘Burhan Day’ on both sides of the divided Kashmir.
All the three JRL leaders and other middle rung separatists were caged to prevent them from organising protests and marching toward Tral.