Death of militant sparked violence in north Kashmir

Srinagar: During a gunfight between Indian troopers and a militant, a local Hizbul Mujhadeen militant was killed at Nagri Kupwara on Tuesday morning. The killing of the militant sparked violent protest in frontier district while angry protesters targeted police vehicles and personnel in the district. Witnesses told CNS that thousands of people participated in the last rites of slain militant whom police identified as Sameer Ahmed Wani, a resident of Dooru Sopora.

Violent protests were also reported from Sopore town where agitated protesters amid pro-freedom slogans torched a police vehicle (JK15-4530) at Shaiva village. Witnesses said that the police vehicle carrying a prisoner on way to Sopore court from Kupwara for a case hearing when agitated protesters cornered it and attacked it with stones. Policemen along with the handcuffed prisoner took refuge in police station Bomai leaving vehicle at the mercy of the protesters who without wasting any time set it ablaze. Police allegedly resorted to aerial firing to disperse the protesters.

Confirming that a police vehicle was set on fire by protesters, Station House Officer Bomai told CNS that situation was brought under control after hours long clashes in the area.

Reports said that a large number of mourners from different hamlets of Sopore town rushed to Shaiva village in private vehicles to participate in the last rites of slain militant who was shot dead by Army personnel from 47 Rashtriya Rilfles and Special Operation Group Cargo Srinagar and Kupwara during a brief gun fight.

A police official said that the slain militant had joined Hizb outfit in 2014 and he was active in North Kashmir from past two years.

He is survived by his parents and a brother and sister. Wani according to police had joined Hizbul Mujhadeen two years back in 2014 and since then he was active in North Kashmir.

His father Muhammad Samandar Wani told CNS that before attaining martyrdom, Sameer called his family on his cell number seeking forgiveness for his sins. “During wee hours we received a call from an unknown cell number. It was my son Sameer who informed us that he has been trapped. He talked to me, his mother, brother and sister for about 10 minutes and asked us to forgive him for his ‘misdeeds’, he said adding that his son was very pious who was filled with the love for his people and land.