Jamia Masjid march foiled, Mirwaiz arrested Curfew in 7 areas, restrictions in Old Srinagar; clashes in Bandipore, Pulwama

SRINAGAR, Nov 11: The authorities today foiled a march called by separatists to Jamia Majid by imposing curfew in some parts of old city of Srinagar and arrested Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. The security forces and police allegedly closed the main gate of the residence of Syed Ali Shah Geelani, chairman Hurriyat (G).

Normal life was paralysed for the consecutive 126th day today due to a separatist-sponsored strike.

“Curfew was imposed in seven areas to maintain law and order,” said an official. Separatists had called for the march to the Jamia Mosque in the city’s Nowhatta area. Congregational Friday prayers have not been allowed inside the mosque during past 17 weeks.

Reports said all roads leading to Srinagar’s main Masjid were sealed since Thursday evening with deployment of paramilitary forces and imposition of strict curfew and restriction in old Srinagar city. Hurriyat (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was arrested on Friday after he tried to march towards Jamia Masjid.

A spokesman of Hurriyat (M) said Mirwaiz was taken to Police station Nigeen after his arrest from outside his residence.

Geelani was locked inside his Hyderpora residence when he tried to march towards historic Jamia Masjid Srinagar. Geelani, along with his party activists came out of his room around 12:15 PM to march towards Jamia Masjid but police locked the gate of his house.

Reports said that strict restrictions were imposed in old Srinagar city where authorities arrested Mirwaiz when he tried to proceed towards historic Jamia Masjid.

A protest march was also carried out in Pantha Chowk area of Srinagar city in which people participated. The agitated protesters were stopped by police who in turn pelted stones on them. Police used tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters. Clashes between pro-freedom protesters and government forces continued for hours. Marrches were taken out in different parts of North Kashmir’s Bandipora district. People participated in a rally that was held at Ganistan Sumbal.

Clashes broke out in Palhalan area when youth resorted to stone-pelting shortly after Friday congregational prayers. Earlier, a rally was taken out in the area that was led by Tehreek-e-Hurriyat District President Baramulla Abdul Gani Bhat. Bhat also addressed a gathering and stressed upon the people to follow the resistance leadership program in letter and spirit. Pertinently, police have been continuously raiding the residential house of Bhat while he has so for managed to evade the arrest.

Security forces had to fire tear smoke shells to disperse protesters who were raising slogans soon after Friday prayers in Bandipora.

People after offering congregational prayers tried to assemble in Main Chowk and started raising slogans. However, the protesters pelted stones on forces as they reached the spot. The forces fired tear smoke shells to disperse protesters that led to clashes. Forces fired dozens of tear shells and resort to pellet firing to disperse the angry youth.

Police in Aloosa area of Bandipora while foiling a proposed pro-freedom rally arrested three youth during clashes.

Earlier in the morning scores of youth engaged police in clashes that lasted until prayers were concluded. Locals in Aloosa accused forces of ransacking the houses and other private property. Clashes were also reported from Papchan area of Bandipora.

Clashes broke out in Tahab and Naira areas of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district when people hit to roads and pelted stones on the government forces. People were agitating against the arrest of youth during nocturnal raids. Security forces arrested at least 10 youth from Tahab and Naira during raids on Thursday night. Pertinently, Naira is the native village of PDP youth leader Waheed-ur-Rehman Parra.

Witnesses and reports said that people from these villages first staged a protest outside police station Pulwama while shortly after Friday prayers youth took to roads and clashed with deployed government forces. Reports said many people were injured during these clashes.

Marches were carried out in different parts of South Kashmir shortly after Friday congregational prayers. Reports said people participated in such marches in Shopian, Kulgam, Tral, Anantnag and Pulwama.

Marches were taken out in Rohmu, Mitrigam and Gosu Pulwama as well.

News Updated at : Friday, November 11, 2016