JRL calls shutdown on Thursday against Shujaat’s killing

Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) called for a complete shutdown on Thursday, June 21 against the killing of Rising Kashmir founder, Shujaat Bukhari and the civilian killings since Eid across Kashmir.
The JRL also demanded an international probe into Bukhari’s killing.

The leadership said Cordon And Search Operations (CASO) had returned with venegance to the villages as people were being “severely beaten”, “harassed” and “used as human shields”.

“The strike will be observed against the brutal killing of veteran journalist Shujaat Bukhari who was killed by unknown assailants, which JRL strongly condemns,” the statement said.

The leadership comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik also called for a strike against the continued civilian killings in the Valley which had witnessed a spike since the eve of Eid as three young boys Vikas Ahmad, Shiraz Ahmad and Aijaz Ahmad had been brutally gunned down by the government forces while the fourth Abdul Majeed is struggling for life at SKIMS Soura.

Recalling the contribution of the journalist fraternity in Kashmir regarding the ‘resistance movement’, the JRL leaders said the journalist fraternity too had faced tremendous hardships during the past many decades while carrying out its professional duties.

“It is because of the contribution of the vibrant Kashmiri media that reports with sincerity and against all odds that the world community comes to know about that the ground situation in Kashmir and their contribution can never be ignored,” the leaders said.
The JRL said in Pampore once again an incident of using four civilians as human shields during CASO had surfaced.
“While 14 young boys have been forcibly picked up by the government forces during nocturnal raids at their home Monday night in Pulwama, many families including that of a journalist at Shopian was raided by the govenrmnet forces and harassed by them and this ugly phenomenon is continuing unabated,” it said.