Kashmir shuts against civilian killings, desecration of Jamia Govt imposes curbs in parts of Srinagar, separatists caged

Life was disrupted across Kashmir valley due to restrictions imposed in parts of Srinagar downtown and shutdown called by Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) against the civilian killings and “desecration” of Jamia Masjid.
Authorities imposed restriction in Srinagar downtown to foil protests after a youth, Qaiser Amin Bhat of Fateh Kadal, who was ran over by a paramilitary CRPF vehicle on Friday at Nowhatta, succumbed to injuries at SKIMS, Soura late Friday night.

Restrictions were imposed under Section 144 as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order in areas falling under the jurisdiction of Khanyar, Nowhatta, M R Gunj, Safakadal, Kralkhud and Maisuma police stations.
Concertina wires barricades were erected across roads at major places in downtown and movement of public was disallowed.

However, clashes between youth and government forces broke out at Fateh Kadal when paramilitary forces fired tear smoke shells and fired pellets at mourners carrying the body of the slain civilian for funeral.
Several persons were injured in the action by governent forces.

A large number of people participated in his funeral at Fateh Kadal Chowk where from the body was taken in a vehicle to Martyrs Graveyard at Eidgah where another large funeral was held.
Later, the slain youth was laid to rest amid sobs, tears and pro-freedom slogans.
Sporadic clashes between youth and government forces continued in the area while mild clashes were also reported from Habba Kadal area.
A freelance reporter, Muheed Ahmad alleged harassment by the CRPF troopers when he was heading toward Fateh Kadal to perform his professional duties.
“I was intercepted near Bohri Kadal. The troopers not only refused to lift the razor-wire to pave way for me but also abused me,” he said. “After hurling choicest abuses, the CRPF men started beating me with sticks with almost six troopers pouncing on me and thrashing me mercilessly.”
Rising Kashmir reporter and cameraman were also not permitted to pass through the area and visit the deceased family.
Qaiser and another youth Muhammad Younis were run over by a paramilitary CRPF vehicle during clashes at Nowahatta on Friday.
Qaiser succumbed to injuries at SKIMS, Soura while Younis is battling severe wounds.
“Police has taken cognizance of the matter and initiated due proceedings after registering an FIR under the relevant sections of the law, a police spokesman said. “Investigation is going on.”
This was the second such incident involving a vehicle of the government forces in crushing to death a civilian in Srinagar downtown.
Earlier, a police armoured vehicle had mowed down a civilian during clashes at Noor Bagh area of old city.
JRL comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik had called a shutdown to protest against the civilian killings, and alleged high-handedness of government forces in Shopian and use of force on protestors inside Jamia Masjid premises on May 25.
Authorities also barred JRL from holding any protest against the civilian killings.
While Geelani continued to remain under house detention, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was placed under house arrest at his Nigeen residence and Muhammad Yasin Malik was arrested from his Maisuma residence.
Mirwaiz took to Twitter to express his grief over Qaiser’s killing.
“Downtown put under curfew Internet snapped while I placed under #HouseArrest barring me from addressing a rally on occasion of JungEbadr. All this while we lost another 21-year-old youth Kaiser Bhat to Indian occupation as he was mowed to death by a CRPF vehicle, Deeply grieved (sic)!,” the Mirwaiz tweeted.
Meanwhile, complete shutdown was observed in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley.
Shops and business establishments remained shut while public transport was off the roads.
However, thin movement of private vehicles was observed in civil lines areas of Srinagar and inter-district routes.