Kashmir shuts against SC stay on FIR against army, Hurriyat leader’s killing

The normal life in Kashmir on Saturday was affected by the strike called by Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) to protest the staying of FIR against Army by Supreme Court, Hurriyat leader’s killing and shifting of prisoners to outside jail.
The authorities also enforced restrictions in parts of Srinagar to foil the protests.
Authorities imposed restrictions in areas of five police stations including Nowhatta, Rainawari, Khanyar, Safakadal and M R Gunj while partial restrictions were put in place in Maisuma and Kralkhud areas of uptown Srinagar.
The police and CRPF men were deployed in strength in downtown areas to foil the protests.
The cops had placed concertina wires and barricades on main roads and major flash points to restrict movement of people avoid any law and order situation.
Meanwhile, all shops and business establishments in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley remained closed while public transport was off the roads.
However, three-wheelers and private vehicles were plying on the roads.
The JRL comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik, who is currently undergoing treatment at SKIMS, had called for shutdown against Supreme Court’s stay on of FIR against army for killing three civilians in Shopian, killing of Hurriyat leader Muhammad Yousuf Rather by unknown gunmen in central Kashmir’s Budgam district on February 12 and shifting of prisoners to outside jails.
The JRL had criticised the Supreme Court’s stay on FIR registered by police against army for Shopian killings.
On February 12, Supreme Court restrained the state Police from taking any coercive steps against army officers and asked the state government to file a response within two weeks.
Three civilians— Suhail Javid of Ganovpora, Javid Ahmad Bhat of Balpora and Rayees Ahmad Ganie from Narapora rea of Shopian were killed on January 27 after army men fired at protesters in Ganowpora village of Shopian district.
Police had registered FIR against army men of 10 Garhwal including Major Aditya Kumar under sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) of the Ranbir Penal Code.
The army had on next day of the incident claimed that troops had fired in self-defence in extreme violent atmosphere.
Meanwhile, train service between Srinagar- Baramulla was suspended in view of shutdown called by separatists.