Kashmir shuts against Shopian killings Govt foils separatists “Sectt Chalo”; Mirwaiz detained, Geelani barred Edu institutions to remain closed today, exams postponed

Normal life in Valley was crippled on Monday by the curbs imposed by authorities and shutdown called by separatists against militant and civilian killings in Shopian while authorities foiled the “Secretariat Chalo” and detained Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq.

Authorities imposed curbs in Khanyar, Nowhata, Rainawari, Safakadal, M R Gunj areas in downtown while partial restrictions were enforced in Maisuma and Kralkhud areas.
The police and paramilitary personnel were deployed in strength in these areas to enforce restrictions and foil anti-India protests.

The cops had placed barricades and coils of concertina wires on the roads to prevent any public assembly.
The restrictions were also imposed in parts of south Kashmir.
In the areas, where restrictions were not imposed, shops, business establishments, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport remained off the roads.
The separatists had called for shutdown against the killing of five militants and five civilians by security personnel in Shopian yesterday.

The clashes broke out between youth and forces at Zaldagar area of downtown after youth pelted stones on the force personnel, who were withdrawing from the area in the evening. The cops fired tear smoke shells and resorted to heavy baton charge to disperse the protesting youth.

The authorities foiled the separatists “Secretariat Chalo” call by deployed police and paramilitary personnel in strength around the area and placing curbs on the movement of the separatist leaders.
Contingents of police and CRPF men were deployed at major locations in Srinagar to prevent people from marching towards Secretariat and ensure incident-free passage of cavalcade of Chief Minister, ministers and officers.
The Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik had called for march to Secretariat and holding of a sit-in there against the killings in Shopian.
Mirwaiz defied his house detention and tried to march towards the Civil Secretariat. However, he was detained by policemen and lodged at Police Station Nigeen.
Before being detained, Mirwaiz chanted slogans like “Down with the killers and collaborators” .
He was later shifted to his house and place under house detention again.
Hurriyat (G) chairman Syed Ali Geelani also tried to come out of his residence at Hyderpora but policemen posted outside prevented him from doing so.
He was again place under the house arrest.
Many other separatist leaders including Tehreek-e-Hurriyat chairman Mohammad Ashraf Sehrai also were either placed under house arrest or detention.
The mobile internet service remained suspended for third consecutive day in Srinagar and second day in south Kashmir.
Train services from Banihal to Baramulla also remained suspended due to security reasons.
All government, private schools and colleges remained closed today.
Directorate of School Education Kashmir (DSEK) G N Itoo said they have decided to suspend class work in all educational institutes across Valley as precautionary measures on Tuesday also.
The University of Kashmir has also decided to suspend class work tomorrow and postpone the examinations scheduled for Tuesday.
Islamic University of Science and Technology has also postponed exams scheduled for Tuesday . The class work shall also remain suspended in the varsity.
Kashmir had also observed shutdown yesterday against killing of three Lashkar militants and crushing to death of a youth by police vehicle in Srinagar on Saturday.