Kashmir Unrest day 92: 12 year pellet victim dies, death toll 92 Amid shutdown, pro-freedom protests continued

Srinagar: A 12-year-old boy, who was hit by pellets in Saidpora area of Eidgah on Fridayevening, succumbed to his injuries at SK Institute of Medical Sciences Soura early Friday, taking death toll to 92 during ongoing unrest in Kashmir.

Junaid Ahmad, son of Ghulam Ahmad, was shifted to the hospital with life-threatening injuries last evening where he passed away at 4 am today, family sources said.

He had sustained injuries in his head and chest and was admitted in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the hospital.

The minor was injured when forces fired pellets and teargas shells at demonstrators in the Eidgah area after Friday prayers.

Soon after the news about his death reached to Shaher-e-Khaas, hundreds of people took to streets and staged pro-freedom and anti-government slogans.

Government forces resorted to intense teargas shelling on people in Eidgah area of Srinagar who were marching with the body of 12-year-old boy.

Eyewitnesses said that mourners had to take the body of Junaid Ahmad back from Eidgah gate after massive shelling by the forces.

Reports said that several mourners were injured in the forces’ action.

His funeral was scheduled at 7:30 am. He was laid to rest in Marzar-e- Shuhda Eidgah.

Body of slain Junaid was brought to his home around6 AM and was taken to Martyrs Graveyard a little later but hundreds of men in uniform including J&K Police cops and para-military CRPF men wearing riot gear uniform holding assault rifles, tear gas and pellet guns in hands stopped the funeral from proceeding towards the venue for final rites.

The mourners rose in pro-freedom and anti-India sloganeering, however, tear shells rained on the funeral near Aali Masjid on Eidgah-Soura road few hundred metres away from graveyard. The body was laid down on the road as mourners were pushed back due to intense tear gas shelling, news reporters, eye witness to the events, said.

The funeral procession retreated to home of slain Junaid. After some time, the funeral took an alternative road via Wangun pora and reached the Eidgah to bid adieu to the slain minor.

He was lowered in his grave around 9:30 AM amid wails, tears and pro-freedom sloganeering.

Authorities on Saturday disallowed a Muharram procession in Lal Bazar area of Srinagar.

Reports said that senior Hurriyat leader Moulana Abbas Ansari would lead the procession from Gulshan Bagh Botta Kadal to Gulshan-e-Zehra Alamgari Bazar every year.

“This time, the authorities didn’t allow us to take out the procession, even as people had gathered here,” said a Botta Kadal resident.

Clashes erupted in Saidpora, Soura and Aanchar areas.

Three youths were received by SKIMS Soura for treatment. Sources in the hospital said that one of the three injured youths was hit by pellets in back and head and belongs to Saidapora while two others were hit by tear gas shells.

One youth, identified as Moomin, has been hit by tear gas shell in his left leg and belongs to Aanchar area while as another youth, identified as Hilal Ahmad has been hit by tear gas shell and is a neighbour of slain Junaid.

Curfew remained in force in seven police station areas of the following death of a minor boy.

Heavy deployment of forces was put on place to handle any law and order problem.

“Curfew has been imposed as a precautionary measure in seven police station areas of Srinagar city,” said an official.

He added that police station areas where curfew has been imposed are Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, Safakadal, Maharaj Gunj, Maisuma and Batamaloo.

“Restrictions on assembly of people are in force in rest of the Kashmir Valley while forces have been deployed in strength to maintain law and order,” he said.

Kashmir is witnessing uprising for 92nd consecutive day following killing of popular Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani by forces on July 8 this year.

In south Kashmir’s Karimabad village Army held flag march after hundreds of locals had blocked the road.

Reports and witnesses said that as they Army arrived at the scène, people resorted to stone pelting. However, Army didn’t retaliate and left the area.

The pro-freedom protests then continued till late evening in the village.

Complete shutdown was observed across the valley on consecutive 92nd day. Offices, shops, petrol pumps remained closed while public transport remained off the roads.

Pro-freedom protests continued across the Kashmir. The pro-freedom protests were held in Anantnag, Shopian, Barmulla, Kupwara, Budgam, Bandipora and Ganderbal.

Student protests continued on Saturday, pressing for deferment of examinations.

Students staged protest demonstrations at Rambagh, Barzulla, Chanapora, Rajbagh and other places.

They raised anti-government and pro-freedom slogans. They were holding placards, reading: “Ready to Sacrifice Future for Kashmir”; “Release Students”.

Reports reaching here said that hundreds of students marched from Sozaith, Narbal and adjoining areas towards raising pro-freedom and anti-examination protests.

Student also held protest demonstration on Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway at Laway Pora.

At least 92 civilians have been killed while over 15000 others have been injured during ongoing unrest in Kashmir.