Mashali Mohalla Massacre: After 28 years, State Govt admits 9 civilians were ‘murdered’

Greater Kashmir

Mashali Mohalla Massacre: After 28 years, State Govt admits 9
civilians were ‘murdered’

‘Writes to GoI, seeks prosecution of involved BSF men’

Srinagar: After 28 years since the Mashali Mohalla Massacre, the state
government has admitted that nine persons were murdered in Mashali
Mohalla massacre.The J&K government has written to the Government of
India seeking prosecution against the guilty forces personnel.

The State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) while hearing the application
moved by IFJHRJK chairman Ahsan Untoo, directed that since the
government has “maintained that nine persons were murdered”. “So the
matters stands disposed off with a direction to the state government
to finalise the matter related to relief under various rules within a
period of six weeks,” reads the SHRC judgement by its chairperson
Bilal Nazki.

According to the judgement, the J&K police has maintained that nine
persons got killed but their particulars were not given and an FIR
number 57/1990 U/S 302, 436, 406 RPC 3/27 A stands registered in
police station Nowhatta.

Since the police has filed a charge sheet U/S 302 RPC, it can be
assumed that the state is of the view that that nine persons were
murdered,” reads the SHRC judgement.

“The State government has also written a letter to Government of India
om 15/05/2018 seeking sanction of prosecution of security forces for
murder of nine persons,” further reads the judgement.

On August 6, 1990 nine innocents were gunned down by paramilitary BSF
personnel at Mashali Mohalla in old city.

The BSF men from 75 Battalion that night not only murdered 9 innocents
but also molested women folk. Even E N Rammohan who served IG BSF from
1993 to 1996 in Kashmir said that he was ashamed of the incident.

According to the Court of Inquiry that was ordered, J K Sharma, then
Additional Deputy Inspector General Commandant of BSF’s 75th
battalion, along with his other colleagues which include Deputy
Commandant R P Bhukal, Head Constable Gajjan Singh and Constable Uttam
Singh. All four were initially suspended from service and subsequently
given “routine” postings.

As per data available, the court of inquiry charged Sharma with
“omission of effective command and control over his troops which led
to uncontrolled firing which led to the death of civilians.”

The Court Martial was ordered against the DIG Sharma but till date
nobody knows about the status of that case.

According to media reports, “Aag lagao… Mere ko dead body chahiye”,
this is what Sharma, had told his men before the gruesome massacre.