Militant killed in Larnoo gunfight, civilian dies in forces firing in Kulgam

A Hizbul Mujahideen militant was killed in an encounter with forces in Larnoo area of Kokernag while a civilian died in forces firing during clashes in Khudwani area of south Kashmir’s Kulgam district on Tuesday.

A joint party of 19 RR, CRPF and Kokernag police laid siege around Larnoo, Pahlipora locality of Kokernag in Anantnag district this morning after receiving inputs about presence of a group of militants there, sources said.
They said as the troops started searches, the militants hiding in the area fired on them from automatic weapons.
“The fire was returned by the troops and in the ensuing firefight, a Hizb militant was killed and two others including a Hizb commander Ashraf Khan alias Ashraf Moulvi escaped from the spot. Ashraf has reportedly sustained gunshot wounds,” sources said.

The army helicopters were pressed into service to track the fleeing militants in the forest area.
“Troops called off search operation in the late afternoon after retrieving body of a militant from the area,” sources said.
The deceased militant was identified as Farhan Ahmad Wani son of Ghulam Mohammad Wani R/o Redwani Khudwani, Kulgam.
Farhan was active since June 13, 2017.

Police said an INSAS rifle, 2 INSAS magazines and 42 rounds were recovered from the encounter site.
“The deceased militant was a hardcore stone pelter and a case FIR number 45/17 of Kulgam under section 147, 148, 149, 336, 332, 307 RPC was registered against him. He was also involved in many anti national/social and unlawful activities. Cases under section 10, 11, 13 ULAP Act also stand registered against him in Police Station Kulgam,” a police spokesman said.
After the encounter ended, locals came out on roads in Vailoo and Sagam areas and clashed with police and CRPF men. The spontaneous shutdown was also observed in several areas of Hiller, Akingam, Sagam, Vailoo, leading to Larnoo.
Authorities suspended mobile internet services in Kulgam and Anantnag districts after the encounter started.
Meanwhile, a youth was killed and another injured in forces firing on protestors near the native village of slain militant Farhan at Khudwani, Kulgam.
The deceased was identified as 23-year-old Khalid Ahmed Dar son of Abdul Salam Dar while Yasir Qayoom Dar, 30, was undergoing treatment at a local hospital.
Both had sustained bullet injuries in the forces firing.
“We received body of the youth who had a bullet injury while another youth had sustained bullet injury in the shoulder. He is admitted in the hospital and his condition is stable”, said Superintendent District Hospital Anantnag, Dr Majid Mirab.
Locals blamed SOG men for youth’s killing.
“Clashes were going on between youth and locals outside RR camp near Agriculture University in Khudwani area after the news about killing of Farhan reached the area. Two youth were shot at by the forces, out of which one died on way to hospital”, they said.
A police spokesman while confirming the killing of youth said two civilians sustained bullet injuries when a mob pelted stones on the army camp located at Kudwani.
“Reportedly some unidentified militants from the mob also fired some shots towards the army camp. In the incident, Khalid Ahmed Dar received bullet injury on neck and succumbed at DH Anantnag. Yasir Ahmed Dar sustained injury in shoulder and is undergoing treatment in the hospital. His condition is stated to be stable,” he said.
The spokesman said FIR no 5/2018 has been registered by P/S Kulgam and investigation set into motion.
Three back to back funerals were held for the civilian killed in forces firing.
The body of slain Hizb militant was handed over to his family in the evening.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister, Mehbooba Mufti has expressed deep anguish over the killing of youth Khalid Hussain Dar in forces firing at Khudwani, Kulgam today
The CM has directed the district administration to conduct a probe to know the reasons of the killing and come up with a report at the earliest.
Accordingly, the Deputy Commissioner, Kulgam, Talat Parvez has appointed Additional District Development Commissioner, Kulgam as the inquiry officer to ascertain the facts about the death of the youth.
He has been asked to submit a report with two weeks.