Nothing adverse found against Kawa: J&K Police

Jammu and Kashmir police have found nothing adverse against Bilal Ahmad Kawa, who was recently arrested by Delhi police and Gujarat’s Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) at Delhi airport.
“We have found nothing adverse against him in Kashmir,” Superintendent of Police north city Srinagar, Sajad Ahmad Shah told Rising Kashmir.

Hailing from Aali Kadal area of downtown Srinagar, Kawa, 37, is into Animal Hide business along with his brother, Niyaz Ahmad Kawa and had been frequently travelling Delhi, where he owns a residence at Kasabpura.
Shah said ADGP Munir Ahmad Khan has taken up issue of Kawa’s arrest with Delhi police.
“In our knowledge or record, there is nothing adverse against him,” he asserted.
Shah said ADGP has directed JKP’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) cell in Delhi to facilitate meeting of Kawa’s family with him.

According to one of Kawa’s relative, the JKP’s CID cell has facilitated the meeting between the arrested businessman and his family.
“His family met him twice — January 12 and January 13 – in jail in Delhi,” he said.
J&K Police had not received any communication or query from Delhi Police regarding Kawa.
SSP Srinagar, Imtiyaz Ismail said no FIR has been registered against Kawa. “However, police was also checking records in other police stations,” he said.
Asked whether Delhi Police has sought any details from J&K police about Kawa, SSP said it was yet to write anything to them.
“Let them write to us and we will respond to them accordingly,” he said.
Kawa was arrested by personnel of Delhi Police and Gujarat ATS at Delhi airport on January 10 in connection with 2000 Red Fort attack case.
His family said he was travelling to Delhi for a medical check-up and see his family — wife and two children—who were currently in Delhi.
Kawa’s family has rejected reports that he had any involvement with Red Fort attack case.
“He is innocent. He was not on run but was with his family all these years,” said his mother.
Kawa’s relative Umar Gul said Delhi Police has not yet revealed to family that on what charges he was arrested.
“If he was a wanted by Delhi police, how could he reside near a CRPF camp in Srinagar,” he said.
Gul said Kawa had travelled to Delhi in past also but was never detained or questioned by Delhi Police.
On December 22, 2000, three army men were killed in a militant attack in Red Fort.