People throng Guru’s house amid shutdown I miss my father: Ghalib

A large number of people thronged the residence of parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru Friday on his fifth death anniversary.
On his father’s death anniversary, Afzal Guru’s son Ghalib Guru said that he misses his father who was hanged five years ago at Tihar jail in New Delhi. Ghalib wrote on social media site Facebook: “I still get a lot of hugs, but none of them as warm as yours. I miss you dad.” People made a beeline at Jagir, Doabgah, ancestral village of Afzal Guru in Sopore town.
To commemorate the fifth anniversary of Afzal Guru, a complete shutdown was observed in parts of North Kashmir with all shops, business establishments remaining shut while public transport was off the roads. A condolence meet was held at the ancestral house of Guru in which various pro-freedom parties participated. People thronged the residence since early morning.
While talking to media, Ghalib said that Hurriyat leadership should seriously pursue the case of bringing back the mortal remains of his father. He said that five years have passed and the family is still waiting for the mortal remains of Afzal while his mother, Tabassum Guru, maintained that leadership must stop “differentiating between ‘heroes’ of this nation.”
“There is no great commander or a simple Mujahid. We must stop differentiating between the people who sacrificed everything for Islam and Kashmir. Afzal didn’t sacrifice his life for wife or son but for this Kashmir. As a nation, we must remember the sacrifices made by Afzal Guru,” she said.
Earlier district authorities had imposed strict restrictions in Sopore town to thwart protests in the town. Since Friday morning government forces had put barricades at the entrance
A senior police official said that additional security measures were put across North Kashmir to avoid any law and order problem.
Throughout the day, family of Afzal Guru received people from various areas of Kashmir, who despite restrictions reached Jagir Doabgah. A protest march was organised by pro freedom leaders amid pro-freedom and pro-Afzal slogans.
Meanwhile soon after Friday prayers clashes erupted between youth and forces in main town of Sopore after government forces prevented youth from holding a march. Reports said that after Friday prayers protesters assembled outside Jamia Masjid Sopore and tried to march towards the Main Chowk. However government forces deployed in the market didn’t allow them to protest which ensued clashes.
Forces resorted to heavy tear smoke shelling to disperse the protesting youth. However no one was injured in the protests.