Police withdraws cases against 146 youth in Pulwama Amnesty can’t undo damage done to me: Youth booked in 2013

Police on Thursday withdrew cases against 145 youth in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district named in twenty-one cases of stone-pelting.

“146 youth named in 21 cases have been granted amnesty today,” DIG south Kashmir S P Pani said while addressing scores of youth and their families at police station Pulwama today.
He said the youth granted amnesty won’t face any harassment.

“They won’t be called to police stations and won’t face any issues in getting passport or other services,” DIG said.

Tariq Ahmad Mir, 25, of Litter, Pulwama, who was booked for stone pelting by police in 2013, turned emotional after case registered against him was quashed by police.
“I was falsely implicated by police in a stone pelting case in 2013,” he said adding amnesty can’t undo the damage done to him.

“I had received an invitation from Anil Kumble’s cricket academy as trainer after qualifying trials in Kashmir University in 2013. I was jubilant as I wished to be a cricketer. I was preparing to leave for Kumble’s academy in November of that year,” Tariq said.

He has played as a wicket keeper batsman at national level representing J&K in under-17 tournament.
Tariq said a call from police station in 2013 changed his life for good.
“In police station, I was told that a case of stone pelting has been registered against me. The case was referred to a local court. I missed the opportunity of being a cricketer because once you are implicated in a stone pelting case, getting a character certificate because difficult,” he said.
Tariq, a graduate in Arts from Degree College Bijbehara, did not lose heart and started again to pursue his dreams.
He participated in a recruitment drive under UDAAN and was selected by a placement agency for six months training course in Greater Noida but one and half month latter he had to leave the training after he was summoned back home by police in the stone pelting case.
Tariq said after he returned home, he felt dejected and started doing a manual job in a private company.
“Three years of my life have been wasted for no fault of mine. I can’t be cricketer anymore,” he added.