Protests continue over Kathua rape-n-murder

The protests over the rape and murder of an eight year old Gujjar girl continued across Kashmir as students clashed with the forces and indulge in stone pelting.

The student protests in the support of Kathua rape and murder victim refused to die down and resumed after the break in the schools. At least six students received injuries in day-long clashes in Anantnag town, while the reports of clashes also poured in from other places as well.

A day after the state government ordered the closure of private tuition centres in Kashmir in the backdrop of massive student protests, students also continued protests in North Kashmir’s Baramulla district.
Massive clashes broke out between students of Government Higher Secondary School Baramulla and government forces on Monday against the rape and murder of Kathua girl who was killed in January this year.
Hundreds of students from Government Boys Higher Secondary School held a protest march against the rape and murder and tried to march towards the main market Baramulla. They were demanding capital punishment to the accused person in this heinous crime.

However, the forces foiled the protest march, resulting in massive clashes.
Protesting students threw stones on the government forces leading to chaos in the area. The government forces resorted to tear smoke shells to disperse the protesting students.
Baramulla police said that during the clashes 60- 70 students who were hurling rocks on forces were detained.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Baramulla, Imtiyaz Hussain, said that around 70 students were detained by the police. He however said that the students will be released after proper counseling.
Later in a statement, police said that it released the students. “ Today morning a group of students of Boys Higher Secondary School Baramulla instead of joining their classes disturbed the studies of other students and forced them out of the classrooms. Thereafter this group of students began pelting stones and bricks towards the main road from the school campus. They smashed a lot of civilian vehicles and injured some civilians as well. Thereafter police responded to the situation and this group of students attacked police party with bricks and stones injuring many policemen. After hectic efforts situation was brought under control and the whole group of students indulging in violence were detained. All of them but 5 were subsequently released and handed over to parents after being counselled by police officers. Parents of these 5 students have been asked to come to Police Station Baramulla tomorrow to take their wards home.” The statement further added, that the “ mobile phones of all these students have been retained by police for forensic analysis.
Parents are requested to advice their children not to indulge in violence and concentrate on studies.
All other schools and colleges functioned normally today. Some miscreants want colleges and schools to remain closed for their vested interests.”
Similarly the students of Law College Sopore took out a peaceful protest rally against the Kathua rape and murder incident. The protesting students raised anti-BJP and anti government slogans during the rally.
The students were demanding strict action and capital punishment for the accused. However the protests culminated peacefully.
On Monday morning, before resuming their class work students of Jamia Qadeem High School Sopore took out a protest rally from Jamia Qadeem to Bus Stand Sopore against the rape and murder.
The protesting students were shouting anti India, anti government slogans and were demanding justice for rape and murder victim, Asifa.
However as soon as students reached near Bus Stand Sopore, the forces did’nt allow them to move ahead, resulting in massive clashes.
Students hurled rocks on government forces forcing shopkeepers to run for safety. Government forces resorted to tear smoke shelling to disperse the protesting students.
Early morning, students took to streets in Anantnag town’s Lal Chowk and Khanabal areas and held protest demonstration. Stones were hurled on the paramilitary forces who in turn retaliated by firing pellets and tear gas shells.
A student was grievously injured after being hit with pellets.
“He had multiple pellet injuries in his abdomen, chest and arm”, said a doctor at district hospital Anantnag.
Clashes also erupted in the premises of government boys degree college Khanabal. Youth pelted stones on the policemen who went inside the campus and lobbed tear smoke shells to disperse the stone throwing youths. Five students sustained injuries in the police action.
Several youth were also taken into custody in Degree college Anantnag to contain the situation and some eight policemen sustained injuries while vacating the college campus, said a police official.