Qaiser’s ancestral house opens for a day of mourning

On Friday late night 23-year-old Qaiser Amin Bhat, who was run over by a paramilitary CRPF vehicle during clashes at Nowahata in Srinagar, succumbed to injuries after battling for life for several hours.
Soon after his death, people of Malik Angan locality in Fateh Kadal where Qaiser was born and brought up, and his aunt and uncle with whom he lived at Dalgate until Friday, had an intense deliberation as both wished to bury Qaiser in their locality.

Finally, Qaiser’s neighbours had their way as it was finally decided to perform his last rites at Fateh Kadal.
As the first light set on Saturday, Qaiser’s two sisters, accompanied by their uncle and aunt, drove from their Dalgate house to Fateh Kadal where grief descended on Qaiser’s ancestral two-storey stone and brick house.
As people thronged in large numbers to express condolences and sympathy, inside in a small dimly-lit room, men and women sat together to mourn over Qaiser’s death.

Qaiser, an orphan and eldest among the three siblings, did his schooling from Saint Solomon High School and later attended S P Higher Secondary School.
However, fate had something else in store for Qasier.
“He couldn’t continue studies as his parents died one after another,” the relative said.
His mother died of cancer in 2008.

A few months later, his father Muhammad Amin Bhat died of heart attack.
According to the relative, Bhat was Kashmiri handicraft dealer in Delhi and Qaiser used to help him with business at events.
“After death of his parents, he was too young to take over the business and his siblings were adopted by their paternal aunt and uncle, who live in Dalgate,” the realtive said. “He was trying to get into his father’s business to earn support for the family but this was not his fate.”
He is survived by sisters, Tayiba, who is pursuing a law degree and Iffat, an 11th standard student.
According to a relative, Qaiser’s Fateh Kadal house was closed since two tragedies in a year and was opened on Saturday after a decade to attend to mourners.
“Qaiser’s family and one of his uncles lived jointly in the house but after the death of Qaiser’s parents, the house remained closed,” the relative said.
Inside the house, Toyiba and Iffat sat between crowds of wailing mourners.
As they wailed, relatives and neighbours surrounded them and consoled them.
Another relative said, Qaiser was fasting regularly and had been learning and reciting the holy Quran from his sister.
On Friday, Qaiser woke up five minutes before the Sehri time and took his pre-dawn meal.
He dressed in the traditional attire and got ready to attend Friday congregational prayers.
His sister had asked him to recharge her phone, which was the last favour he could do her.
In the afternoon, a Tata mini-bus arrived at the house and Toyiba and Iffat came out of their ancestral home and boarded the bus.