Shopian youth succumbs to injuries, civilian death toll rises to 6

The civilian death toll in forces firing on protestors near encounter site in Badigamarea of Nagbalon Sunday has mounted to six after a critically injured youth succumbed to injuries on Tuesday.
Iqbal Hassan Bhat,17, son of Ghulam Hassan Bhatof Dacho village of Shopian succumbed to injuries at SMHS Srinagar this morning.
Iqbal, who was known as Sufail at home,had sustained critical bullet injuries in forces firing near Urpora area of Nagbal in Shopian on Sunday.
He had appeared in 10th class examinations in March 2018 and was eagerly waiting for his results, his relatives said.
They said Iqbal had left his home after the gunfight in Badigamarea of Shopian on Sunday.
“He alongwith other youth were going to visit the gunfight site,”his cousin RameezAhmad said.
He said when Iqbal reached near Urpora area, force personnel, who were retreating after killing five HM militants including topcommander SaddamPaddar, fired indiscriminately on civilians in which many youth including Iqbal were injured.
Iqbalhad sustained bullet injuries in abdomen and was shifted to Zainapora hospital in an ambulance along with six other injured youth. “However, the ambulance was stopped by army men from moving ahead.The ambulance then took another route and ferried the injured to SDH Yaripora in Kulgam, where from Iqbal was referred to District Hospital Anantnag,” his cousin said.
From DH Anantnag, Iqbal was shifted to SMHS hospital Srinagar, where he succumbed at 6am today.
Thousands of people participated in his funeral prayers at his native place today. Five rounds of funeral prayers were offered for the deceased youth.
Clashes also erupted in the village after some youth pelted stones on a nearby army camp.
The local residents said that burial of the deceased was delayed.
“We had to take coffin of the slain youth to home after army, which is located very near to the graveyard in Dacho, prevented us from moving ahead. They fired shells and pellets on mourners approaching towards the graveyard,” the locals said.
However, a senior police official refuted the allegations.
He said the burial got delayed due to stone pelting and clashes.
“The parents of the youth appealed people to allow them to bury their son peacefully”, he said.
Iqbal is survived by three elder siblings including a physically challenged brother.