Shutdown continues in south Kashmir 5 youth detained in Kulgam, Dialgam; Kulgam youth critical

A complete shutdown was observed for 5th consecutive day in Shopian, Kulgam and Dialgam area of Anantnag district against the killing of militants and civilians.
The shutdown was also observed in Pulwama town, where all shops and business establishments remained shut.
In Kulgam, police picked up three youth during nocturnal raids after stone pelting was reported at Astan Gali main town.

A youth in Kulgam town was injured and he is now battling for his life in SMHS hospital in Srinagar.
“A local youth Zahid Ahmed Ahangar son of Ghulam Hassan Ahangar of Naik Mohalla Kulgam was injured during stone pelting at Astan Gali in a stampede last evening. He was referred to SMHS during midnight. We have picked up three youth from the town, who were involved in stone pelting,” said a police official.

Doctors attending the injured youth said chances of his survival are very grim and “a miracle can only save him.”
“He has been operated twice since last night as he has serious injuries in his vital organs. He has no pellet or any other firearm injury. It seems he has fallen from some height after which he got trampled,” said a medico attending him.

In Shopian, complete shutdown was observed to mourn the militant and civilian deaths.
All shops remained closed while traffic was off the roads. Few stray incidents of stone pelting were reported from Main town throughout the day.
At Shirmal area of Shopian, clashes broke out between protesting youth and force personnel. The cops lobbed tear gas shells and pellets to disperse the protesting students.
At least ten protesters and a policeman sustained injuries.
“We received a policeman who had an injury in his hand. He was discharged after being provided the treatment,” said a doctor at SDH Shopian.
Partial shutdown was observed in Pulwama town, where all shops remained closed. Traffic however, plied normally and the situation was calm.
In Anantnag, protests erupted at various areas of the district and spontaneous shutdown too was observed at some locations.
Incidents of stone pelting were reported from Lal Chowk, Dialgam, Larkipora, Hiller and Hangalgund areas of Kokernag.
Three youth were picked by a local army unit after locals hurled stones on their vehicles when they were passing through Dialgam area, where a shutdown was being observed against the killing of a local militant, Rouf Khanday, a native of Dahruna village.
“In the early morning as the army vehicles passed through the area, youth pelted stones on them. The forces entered inside the locality and picked up three youth,” said a local.
They were later handed over to local police. One of them was later released.
(With inputs from Javid Sofi, Ashraf Ganie)