Tear gas shell kills downtown youth Death toll rises to 69 • Authorities enforce stringent day-night curfew in Valley • Protests, clashes at many places; over 100 sustain injuries

Srinagar, Aug 21:
A youth was killed after being hit by tear gas shell in downtown Srinagar on Sunday, taking the death toll of people killed in the ongoing unrest to 69.

The injury toll also mounted further as dozens of people were wounded by police and paramilitary forces while stringent day and night curfew is being enforced in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley.

Irfan Ahmad, 18, of Fateh Kadal area was killed at Malarata area near Nowhatta in downtown Srinagar this evening when he was hit by a tear gas shell fired by cops to disperse protestors in the area.
Irfan was hit by tear gas shell in the chest. He was taken to SMHS hospital, where doctors declared him brought dead.

With his death, the death toll of people killed in ongoing unrest in the Valley triggered by killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan on July 8 has risen to 69. Over 6000 civilians have also been injured in forces action on protestors during protests in Valley in last 44 days.
Police and CRPF men enforced tough curfew in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley today. The cops had placed concertina wires at many places to prevent public movement.

The cops are also enforcing tough night curfew.
Army is also assisting police and paramilitary personnel in enforcing curfew and restrictions.
A police official said day and night curfew is enforced to maintain law and order and prevent protests.
All the entry and exit points leading to city centre Lal Chowk were sealed. The commuters were not allowed to cross the barricades at these points.

The police and CRPF men were not entertaining the curfew passes issued by authorities and directing people to return or take alternative routes.
It was for the 44th consecutive day that curfew and restrictions remain in force in Valley. Since July 9, a day after 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani was killed, Kashmir has been witnessing curfew and shutdown.
At least 68 people have been killed and over 6000 injured during ongoing unrest in the Valley triggered by killing of Burhan.

All schools, colleges, business establishments, petrol pumps and private offices remained closed while public transport was off the roads. The educational institutions have remained closed since July 9 while the working in government offices and banks has been badly hit.

Residents of Pamposh Colony, Mandir Bagh, Noor Bagh, Gow Kadak and Karan Nagar areas in Srinagar alleged that force personnel are pelting stones on the houses. “The windowpanes of most of houses areas in the areas have been damaged in CRPF action.”

The residents of Botangoo, Sopore, Batpora, Bandipora, Ajas, Kupwara, Bomai, Tral, Pulwama, Behama, Ganderbal and many other parts of Srinagar also complained that police and CRPF men have smashed the windowpanes of their houses.
The residents of Gow Kadal in Srinagar alleged that police and CRPF men went berserk in the area and barged into the residential houses. “The cops damaged household goods, beat the inmates and smashed window panes of many houses.”

“It was only after intervention of a senior police officer that forces stopped beating us,” they said.
Clashes erupted in many areas of downtown Srinagar after police and CRPF men fired tear smoke shells and resorted to heavy baton charge to disperse groups of youth protesting against the civilian killings in the Valley and pellet injuries to an 8-year-old boy Junaid Khan.

Junaid was hit by pellets in police firing in Qalamdanpora area of Nawab Bazar in downtown Srinagar yesterday.
Another nine year old boy Mohammad Shahid was injured in Central Kashmir’s district Budgam when a CRPF man caught hold of him and beat him with his weapon during clashes in the area. He was later referred to SMHS hospital for treatment.

Clashes between youth and cops were also reported from Nowgam, Hyderpora and many other places in Srinagar.
A marriage party was attacked by forces in Trumgund area of Sopore in Baramulla district this afternoon.
Locals said the force personnel fired pellets on the marriage function in the area, injuring nine persons. One of the injured identified as Parvaiz Ahmed Naikoo received pellet injures in chest and was admitted to Sub District Hospital, Kreeri.

An Imam was beaten to pulp by army’s 22 RR personnel near fruit Mandi, Sopore on bypass road today.
“Qari Naseer Ahmad Sheikh, 28, of Halmatpora village of Kupwara was returning home from Khanqah-e-Moula area of Srinagar, where he leads prayers at a mosque. He was told by Army men to come out of the vehicle near Sopore bypass road. He was taken to a nearby orchard, where the army men tied him with the tree and beat him ruthlessly. After being beaten, he was let off the by the armymen”, his family members alleged.

They said Sheikh was rushed to sub-district Hospital Kupwara, where from doctors shifted him to a hospital in Srinagar for specialized treatment.

Over 50 persons sustained injuries when CRPF men fired teargas shells and firing on stone pelting protesters in Behrampora and Rafiabad areas of Baramulla district this afternoon. The injured were shifted to Dangiwacha Community Health centre.
Two of the injured were referred to District Hospital Baramulla.
Six people, including two women, were injured in clashes between forces and protesters in Hygam area of Baramulla district.

Two youth sustained pellet injuries when cops fired pellets on protestors in Muminabad, Anantnag . One of the injured youth, a 21-year-old B Tech student, was hit by pellets in both eyes and chest. Another youth was hit in arm and is undergoing treatment at District hospital Anantnag.
Meanwhile, pro-freedom rallies were taken out in many parts of south Kashmir including Danterand Brinty Dilgam areas. Thousands of people participated in these rallies.
People also participated in pro-freedom rallies in Muloo – Chitragam in Shopian and Breenthi Batpora Dailgam in Annatnag
Thousands of people from several villages of Pulwama district marched towards Parigam to participate in a pro-freedom rally.

The marchers chanted anti-India and pro-freedom slogans. A similar rally was also held in Wasoora area of the district.
Pakistani flags were waved during these rallies.
Religious scholars of all schools of thought besides separatist leaders addressed the rallies.
A Milat-e-Itihad rally was organized in Tachlo Shamsipora area of Anantnag district. Thousands of people participated in the rally.

Police Version
A police spokesman said there were only three incidents of stone pelting in Valley on Sunday.
“The stone pelting incidents were reported from Kangan in Ganderbal, Trumgund and Behrampora in Sopore. The miscreants assembled on roads and pelted stones on police and forces,” he said.
He said apart from these incidents, situation remained under control across the valley.
“The restrictions under section 144/Cr PC remained in force in the valley. However, curfew was imposed in Srinagar city, Anantnag town and Pampore only,” the spokesman said.
With Inputs from Javaid Ahmed from Sopore