United Nations reacts to the shocked images of Kashmir toddler triggering globally massive outrage

A day after a minor’s picture wailing over his grandfather’s body triggered massive outrage in Indian occupied Kashmir and outside, the United Nations have said that whosoever responsible for the killings in Sopore, “have to be made to account for it”, reports said Thursday.

In a daily press briefing on Wednesday, Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that those who were responsible for the killing of a civilian and a CRPF man in Kashmir have to be made to account for it.

Dujarric was responding to a question by a reporter at the daily briefing.

“We will look into it. Obviously people who were responsible need to be brought to account. But let me look further into it,” he said.

Responding to another question over the outbreak of protests after the civilian’s killing, the UN General Secretary’s spokesperson said “As anywhere, we encourage people to be, authorities to allow people to demonstrate freely and that they can express their rights to demonstrate.”

On Wednesday, the killing of a civilian during a shootout in Sopore town of north Kashmir triggered massive outrage in Indian occupied Kashmir and outside. While police claimed that the 65-year-old Bashir Ahmad Khan, of Mustafa Colony HMT in Srinagar, died due to the firing by militants, the family contested the claims and accused Indian forces of killing him in “cold-blood” after dragging him out of his personal car.

The anger and outrage were fuelled by a series of pictures and videos showing a wailing kid trying to wake up Khan from a road in Sopore town. The incident also evoked strong condemnation from mainstream political, social and religious parties.

This is the second incident in the last week when children have become the victims of the conflict. Last week a six-year-old boy and CRPF soldier were killed in Bijbhera. Mehaan Yaseen’s father Muhammad Yaseen Bhat survived the attack, but he was not lucky.

Bhat, a physical education teacher at a school in Bijbehera, had taken Mehaan to the market to buy clothes for him.

“All of a sudden there was firing. Everybody ran for cover but my son couldn’t. When I looked at him, I saw blood oozing from his right shoulder. He was hit by a bullet. Mehaan was my world, I lost everything today,” Bhat said. Children have been the biggest casualty of the Kashmir conflict. For the last 30 years, Kashmir has produced an army of orphans. If it was a police officer’s daughter Zohra in 2017, it is Mehaan and Ayad in 2020.

Meanwhile, Pakistan Foreign Office Spokesperson Aisha Farooqui on Thursday said India could not wash away the truth by fake news after the images flashed across the world depicting ‘callousness and inhumanity of the occupation forces’.

“The heart-wrenching picture of the three-year-old boy in Sopore will forever remain seared in the imagination of all those, who believe in humanity, human rights and fundamental freedom,” she said in her opening statement at the weekly press briefing here at the Foreign Office.

A 64-year-old civilian was shot dead in front of his toddler grandson by the security forces in Indian Occupied Kashmir, leaving a big question mark on the human rights situation in the Valley.

Aisha Farooqui said as the Indian Occupied Kashmir braced 332nd day of continued brutalization, the sufferings of innocent people could not remain hidden from the world.

“India cannot wash away the truth by fake news and turning its propaganda machinery faster,” she added.

On the Line of Control, she mentioned, that 1,546 ceasefire violations took place in the first six months of the current year, resulting in 14 martyred and 114 seriously injured.

The FO spokesperson said Pakistan categorically rejected the grant of domicile certificates in the Indian Occupied Jammu & Kashmir (IOJK) by the Indian authorities to reportedly 25,000 Indian nationals.

“The certificates issued to non-Kashmiris including, among others, the Indian government officials under ‘Jammu and Kashmir Grant of Domicile Certificate (Procedure), 2020’ are illegal, void and in complete violation of the relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions, and international law, including the 4th Geneva Convention,” she added.